Research and Innovation
Goals of the workgroup
- Identify common technical challenges which are specific for the metals industry
- Identify gaps and solutions in the circular value chain
- Promote collaboration between FMV members about very concrete projects
The list hereunder shows the selected themes, based on prioritization during the workshop of 23.06.2021 *.
Our goal is to refine these general topics to more concrete collaboration opportunities. This will be done through:
- Your feedback as a member, preferably using the form on this page
- Exchange of information to identify gaps in the circular value chain
- Themed events where cases are presented to interested members
- Informal networking opportunities hosted by FMV
We keep the focus on issues that are specific to the broad metals industry.
Use of hydrogen for metals production and processing
- Hydrogen as a reducing agent for metals production
- Hydrogen as alternative heat source
Role of metals in the application of hydrogen
- Resistance of metals to hydrogen
- Need to develop new alloys or barrier coatings
Recycling of metals used in hydrogen applications
- Recycling of fuel cells
Remark: there was a general interest in the hydrogen economy, infrastructure and supply challenges. These were discarded from the themes as they are tackled by more generalistic organisations such as WaterstofNet, in which several FMV members already participate.
- Energy/heat measuring techniques
- Alternative CO2 friendly technologies (with a scope from raw materials to treatment of byproducts)
- Alternative fuels instead of gas/cokes
- Energy recovering techniques
- Capture techniques
- LCA/certification of processes
Remark:Some of the topics go broader than just the metals industry. In the further refining and definition of concrete actions, attention will be given to metal-specific challenges.
- Mapping of residues/technologies, to identify gaps in the circular value chain and match with existing solutions
- Slag valorization in production, incl heat recovery
- Close collaboration between construction and metals sector
- Non-slag residues
- Norms and standards
- Metal recycling from non-conventional sources (Sewage sludge / Plastics / Waste water / Brines / Lithium batteries / Tailings)
Remark: there was a will to exchange information and start working on very concrete materials which don’t have a fully circular application yet.
- Inline, sensor-based, non-destructive characterisation of mixed metal/waste streams (e.g. non-ferrous, ferrous, batteries, bottom ashes,…)
- Digitalization for characterization (AI, Digital twins)
- Knowledge gap towards available technologies
- Mobile installations
- Robotic sorting
- Plastic/metal/WEEE separation
- Sorting by chemical composition?
- Design of new alloys suited to be made from recycled content (e.g. Aluminum)
- Printed electronics for product traceability
- Create more awareness that recycled metals will be part of our future products, so we need to take away the resistance against the use of recycled metals in certain applications
Remark: this group of subjects has a too wide scope. It was proposed to form different groups with narrower scope in the upcoming events.
* For the complete meeting notes, please refer to the Past events area and click on Workshop 23.06.2021
Participation and feedback
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679, we have a legal duty to protect any information we collect from you. All the information we collect on this page will only be used for statistical purpose within the Flanders Metals Valley cluster, and we will not share them any further. If you want your data to be deleted or modified, you can always email us at email@example.com